Implementation, and the Advance Guard
The second of a three-part post on ensuring a smooth transition for your referring clinician customer base to a new radiology portal. Make sure your vendor addresses the specific steps and timing involved in implementing the radiology portal as part of your project plan and implementation process documentation. Key portal implementation process steps include the following:
- Conduct a workflow analysis to ensure the vendor understands all your key requirements related to the portal so they can configure it appropriately
- Define the method for uploading clinician contact information into your radiology portal
- Define the method for setting up clinician username and passwords (this is one of the more challenging aspects of this process, especially if you have tens of thousands of referrers). It also depends on the system functionality. Some options can include:
- If you can access the old system username and passwords, you can load them into your new system and nothing changes for the clinician
- Set up new username and passwords ahead of time for all clinicians and then provide them with their new usernames and passwords during training
- Set up new usernames and passwords during the training session. Have the clinician register at that time and create his or her own username and password, or you can do it for them while you are on site
- Define the method for installing any downloadable software (as needed) onto the clinician’s desktop and setting up the portal link on the clinician’s desktop
- Portal user training for all staff that touches / supports it
- Portal user training and quick reference guides for staff and a version for referring clinicians
- Objective - You have made a new investment in radiology IT in order to speed report turnaround and improve the level of service you provide to your clinician base.
- Features/benefits of the new RIS/PACS/Portal
- System requirements of the new RIS/PACS/Portal
- Changes - Describe the changes clinicians can expect with the new portal compared to the old system and process.
- Action Plan and Timing – List the steps involved on your end and the clinician’s end and the specific dates of when the actions will happen as it relates to the radiology portal deployment at the clinician site.
- Apologize in advance for any inconvenience this may cause the clinician.
- Imaging facility key contact information