Radiologist and consultant Lawrence R. Muroff, MD, FACR, has highlighted eight major trends affecting radiology practices today—as well as four nightmares that they might face in the future.
Muroff’s trends for radiologists to be aware of are:
- declining reimbursement,
- an unrealistic focus on productivity,
- radiology’s image problem,
- the availability of nonphysician professionals,
- the cultural outlook of the millennial generation,
- turf battles and competition,
- hospital demands, and
- competition from academic departments.
His prediction for four additional pressures with the potential to become problems are:
- commoditization and outsourcing
- retail medicine, and
- alternative payment models.