Ditch the Wire Brush for Spring Break Grilling, Says AJR Study

Twitter icon
Facebook icon
LinkedIn icon
e-mail icon
Google icon

You might want to re-think your barbecue strategy this summer: according to a new study in the American Journal of Roentgenology, accidental ingestion of wire grill brush bristles is on the rise.

Within 24 hours of ingesting grilled meat, six patients presenting with stomach or throat pain required endoscopic or surgical treatment to remove the objects.

“Careful history revealed cleaning of the grill with a metallic brush immediately before cooking in all six cases,” reads the study abstract.

Doctors used CT to identify and remove the bristles as well as to guide abdominal surgery to repair minor internal perforations of all six patients.