Health Care Reform and Medical Imaging: The 10,000-foot View
The Obama administration is pursuing an aggressive timetable to deliver on a campaign promise to make affordable health care available to all US residents. Though the task is daunting, the original timetable of late autumn is still achievable. In a letter to Congress dated June 2, 2009, President Obama expressed his broad strokes for the new health care plan, and he asked that it include:
- a public health-insurance option;
- a health-insurance exchange;
- a provision allowing individuals to keep their current coverage;
- a measure promoting best practices to improve health quality; and
- a mechanism that would pay for the full cost of health reform (estimated at $1.2 trillion to $1.5 trillion) through a combination of reducing Medicare and Medicaid spending and finding new sources of revenue.